The New York City Housing Authority (NYCHA) is committed to supporting its residents by offering opportunities to further their education and make a difference for themselves, their families and their communities. On behalf of PHADA the Public Housing Authority Directors Association and NYSPHADA the New York State branch of the Directors Association, NYCHA is pleased to inform its residents and Section 8 recipients of an opportunity to apply for college scholarships ranging from $5,000 up to $7,000.
Scholarship applicants must:
- Be an authorized NYCHA resident or Section 8 recipient
- Be a high school senior preparing to enter higher level learning (defined as a 2-4 year college, trade school or formal certification program)
- Have a minimum B grade point average
- Submit the required essays
- Submit the required recommendations
- Submit an original high school transcript
There are two scholarship applications. Please review the application instructions carefully. Incomplete application packages that do not meet the requirements will not be considered. If you have questions or need assistance, contact NYCHA via email at: email@example.com.
Application packages can be downloaded from NYCHA’s website: http://on.nyc.gov/nychascholarships. Applications must be completed and postmarked or faxed no later than January 14, 2013. The second portion is due January 28, 2013.
THREE scholarships will be awarded:
- 28h Annual Stephen J. Bollinger Memorial Scholarship, $7,000
- Freedom & Civil Rights Scholarship, $5,000
- HD Supply Scholarship, $5,000
Click here to access and download the application: 2013-PHADA-Scholarship-w-NYCHA
If you are a graduate or undergraduate African-American student pursuing a degree in political science, public administration, public policy, community development, urban development, public health or a degree leading to a career in public service, the Southern Piedmont Chapter of NFBPA invites you to apply for the Harry L. Jones, Sr. Marks of Excellence Scholarship. All Harry L. Jones, Sr. Marks of Excellence Scholars will receive a scholarship in the amount of $1,000 for one year. The Southern Piedmont Chapter will award the scholarship based on essays responses.
Applicants must be currently enrolled in a degree in political science, public administration, public policy, community development, urban development, public health or a degree leading to a career in public service. Candidates should have excellent interpersonal and analytical abilities. Strong oral and written communication skills are a must.
Required Application Documents:
- Application. Applicants should complete all information on the scholarship application.
- Include an Official Transcript
- Copy of student ID, driver’s license or state ID as proof of identity
- Provide a Resume
- 1-2 page Bio statement detailing your personal history, academic and career goals, and why you deserve this scholarship)
- 2-4 page essay, on the following topic: What Does Public Administration mean to you as an African American and what
Please note the deadline for submitting scholarship applications is July 20, 2012.
Click below to download an application:
Submitting Your Application: Please mail your required documentation to:
NFBPA Southern Piedmont Chapter
Attention: Scholarship Committee
PO Box 35545
Charlotte, NC 28235
If you are a student looking for scholarships, these may be of use to you. Some of the scholarships apply to African-American students, as well as other minorities. Take a look and see if you are eligible for scholarship funding!
- Student Inventors Scholarships
- Holocaust Remembrance Scholarships
- Ayn Rand Essay Scholarships
- Brand Essay Competition
- National Assoc. of Black Journalists Scholarships
- Saul T. Wilson Scholarships (Veterinary)
- Microsoft Scholarship Program
- William Randolph Hearst Endowed Scholarship for Minority Students
The School Pride Scholarship is available to high school seniors and full-time undergraduate students. To be considered, you must submit an essay explaining what your school has to offer that you can’t find anywhere else. You must have a minimum 2.5 GPA to be eligible for this award. Essays must be posted on a blog.
Scholarship/Grant Amount: $1,000
Scholarship/Grant Deadline: May 11th, 2012
Award Type: Scholarship Money
Scholarship/Grant Site: (copy and paste into your URL browser) http://www.centurylinkquote.com/scholarship